Fort Merrill

Fort Merrill was established in 1850 by Captain S. M. Plummer First U. S. Infantry on the banks of the Nueces River in order to protect settlers from Comanche raids. It was named in honor of Captain Hamilton W. Merrill who was killed at the battle of Molina del Rey in the Mexican War. The fort was abandoned in December of 1855.

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved