|Fort Ringgold, C.S.A.|
|Texas Historical Marker|
Occupied early in Civil War by Texas Confederates under Col. John S. Ford. Vital in chain of posts used to defend the 2,000 mile Texas frontier, coastline and border always threatened by attacks from Indians, bandits and Federal troops. Cols. Ford, August Buchel and Santos Benavides had troops here from time to time to scout the river, defend ranches and guard wagons trading cotton for war supplies in neutral Mexico. Taken in November 1863 by 1st Texas Union Cavalry. Retaken May 1864 by Ford and used as base to recapture Brownsville.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|