|Texas Historical Marker|
First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahía del Espiritu Santo. Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810 - 1821, 1835 - 1836. Name changed to Goliad and created a Mexican municipality in 1829. Scene of massacre of Fannin and his command in 1836.
Organized as a county, 1836, with town of Goliad as the county seat.
Home of Confederate General Hamilton P. Bee. From population of 3,384 county sent several army companies to the Civil War.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|