|Hidalgo County's First Oil Well|
|Texas Historical Marker|
John M. Lawrence No. 1 oil well was brought in September 18, 1934, near this site by veteran driller Otto C. Woods. Well flowed 1,000 or more barrels a day. At first the oil formed a lake beside the well.
County has produced 20 million barrels of oil.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|