|Texas Historical Marker|
Founded near home and stage stand of Valentine Hoch on old Austin - Indianola Road, 1856. In 1864, German Methodist Church was built; post office opened 1869. County's first Protestant church (organized 1841 on Cuero Creek by J. M. Baker and James N. Smith) moved here in 1882 as Hochheim Presbyterian Church. The Baptist church was founded later (1923). Concrete Lodge No. 182, A. F. & A. M. (Chartered 1856 with F. J. Lynch, first worshipful master), became Hochheim Lodge, 1884, buying (1885) upper story of schoolhouse for Lodge Hall; in 1921 bought lower story, housing school until 1938.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|