|John Closner Home|
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966|
Built 1887, enlarged 1888. Social center. Had county's only piano.
While pioneering in farming and irrigation, Closner also brought law and order to the outlaw-plagued county. After 1884-1890 service as deputy, was elected sheriff in 1890-- the ninth in 7 years. Without using six-gun or killing a man, tamed gangs of rustlers and bandits. When he retired in 1912, he had enforced six-shooter law (no guns worn)-- a border first.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|