|Texas Historical Marker|
In this general area the first settlement of Gonzales was builit in August, 1825. Major James Kerr commissioned by Green DeWitt to select the site on which to build a capitol for his colony. Kerr and six men chose this area where the San Marcos and Guadalupe Rivers join together. The beauty of the country, rich lands, and abundant water supply made this the ideal spot for their purpose.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|