|Battle of Gonzales|
|Texas Historical Marker|
The first battle of the Texas Revolution, fought on the west side of the Guadalupe River about four miles above Gonzales on October 2, 1835, came to be known as the Lexington of Texas. The incident grew out of Col. Domingo de Ugartechea's demand late in September for a cannon given to the settlement for defense against Indians. When the colonists refused to deliver the cannon, Ugartechea sent 150 Dragoons to demand the weapon.
Alcalde Andrew Ponton, in the meantime, sent word to other colonists that he had refused to surrender the cannon, which on September 29 was buried in George W. Davis' peach orchard. From September 30 to October 2, the number of defenders at Gonzales had grown from 18 to about 160. Under command of John H. Moore and J. W. E. Wallace they dug up the cannon, mounted it on ox-cart wheels, filled it with chains and scrap iron, crossed the river and marched toward the enemy. When the Texan scouts discovered the Mexican forces early October 2 they fired their pieces and retired with the Mexicans in pursuit. A discharge from the six-pounder caused the latter to retreat. When the Texans opened with their artillery and charged the enemy his force was driven back in the direction of San Antonio.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|