Mt. Sinai Baptist Church
Texas Historical Marker
 

Organized at Indianola (14 miles SE) in 1870, this church is one of the oldest black fellowships in Calhoun County. The first pastor was the Rev. Joseph Whitlock, an elder in the white Baptist congregation of the city. Several members of this church moved to Port Lavaca in 1875 after a hurricane destroyed the Indianola sanctuary. The remainder of the congregation joined them in 1886 following a second major storm. Known here originally as the Second Baptist Church, the members adopted the present name in 1905, during the 25-year pastorate of the Rev. A. K. Black. (1980)

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved