|Texas Historical Marker|
Named for Rio Nueces (River of Nuts), its northern border. In 1519 Pineda, one of the first Spanish explorers, paused briefly in this area. Spain founded Fort Lipantitlan nearby in 1531. Post, named for an indian village, fell into Anglo-American hands in 1835 during Texas Revolution. Strategic value of this area (with its outlet to the sea) was recognized in 1845 when U. S. Army forces camped here en route to battle fronts in Mexican War. County was created 1846 and organized in 1847 with Corpus Christi as the county seat.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|