|Old Hidalgo County Jail|
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966|
Erected 1909-1910. One of first buildings in town after county seat moved here 1908 from Old Hidalgo. Spanish architecture, with red tile roof, white walls. A new jail was built in 1922; this became community center, and served as a meeting place for civic groups until 1931; then was city hall until 1966. Now the Hidalgo County Museum, its tower houses a hanging trap actually used only once, in 1913.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|