|Old Matagorda Post Office|
|Texas Historical Marker|
This structure was built prior to 1872 on a town lot purchased by Cyrus R. Sharp in 1837 located several blocks east of this site. Constructed of hand-cut lumber and held together with wooden pegs, the building housed only a general store before postmaster Andrew August Duffy added the Matagorda post office to its function in 1882. High water marks noticeable along the interior walls are believed to be the result of storm and flood damage. The structure was moved to this location and renovated following the opening of a new post office building in 1964.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|