|Old Saint Mary's Cemetery|
|Texas Historical Marker|
Joseph F. Smith, Nephew of Texas provisional governor Henry Smith, founded the town of St. Mary's in 1857. Ten acres were set aside for this burial ground, in which the earliest marked grave is dated 1860. The cemetery served the thriving community until an 1886 storm destroyed business and homes, causing residents to move away. In 1909, with the return of land development to the area, the cemetery was again used. The burial site of war veterans and pioneer area settlers, the cemetery serves as a reminder of the important early coastal town of St. Mary's.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|