|Texas Historical Marker|
Pioneer area settlers, many of English descent, acquired land at this site in 1876 for the establishment of a community church, school, and burial ground. A 2-story Woodmen of the World Lodge was also located nearby. Still used, Bellevue Cemetery has served residents of the Cheapside community (1. 5 miles north). Named for a well-known street in London, Cheapside was once the site of a cotton gin, grist mill, hotel, grocery stores, saloons, and a variety of other businesses. Despite the town's later decline, influences of the pioneer English settlers are still evident.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|