Palacios Preparatory School
Texas Historical Marker
 

Opened in 1910, the Palacios Preparatory School was located at this site, behind the family home of its founder, Martha Pearl Dickson McGuire (1876-1962), and her family. Music instruction was given in upstairs rooms of the home. It was the first Palacios school to offer courses in cultural arts in addition to academics. Students performed twice a year in public programs. As many as sixty pupils were enrolled, and parents often traded labor on school projects for childrens' tuition. The school closed in 1918, when the McGuire family moved to Palestine, Texas. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved