San Patricio County
Texas Historical Marker
 

Spanish exploration and activity in the area dated from 1519, through 1821, when Mexico won its independence. In 1828, James McGloin and John McMullen received a Mexican land grant here, to which they brought irish colonists. County was created in 1836; named for St. Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland. Organized in 1837, with San Patricio as county seat. Southern boundary of the county, the Nueces River, played a major role in events leading to the war with Mexico (1846-48), including the crossing of the river by Zachary Taylor's Army, which had travelled across the county. County seat was moved to Sinton in 1893. Erected by the State of Texas - 1973

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved