|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993|
Prominent Weslaco bankers and citrus farmers C. Lester (1896-1966) and Florence Richardson Skaggs (1884-1983) bought 15 acres here in 1924. This Spanish colonial revival style residence, built in 1927, was designed for the Skaggses by prolific Weslaco architect R. Newell Waters. It features an off-center entry and metal casement windows. The house remained in the Skaggs family until 1992. The house, native vegetation, and adjoining orchard provide a glimpse of Welaco's emerging prosperity in the late 1920s. This site became the subject of conservation and preservation efforts in the early 1990s.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|