|Southern Pacific Depot|
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996|
Completed and occupied on August 1, 1927, this depot was designed by Southern Pacific Railroad architect Leonard B. McCoy, and built by Ward Construction of El Paso. The depot was part of a major railroad expansion into South Texas. Edinburg felt a positive economic impact when the railroad began shipping citrus and vegetables and serving passengers' needs. Passenger service ceased in 1952, although freight service continued until 1982. The train depot is a fine example of Spanish colonial revival architecture. Features include double entries, tile detailing and built in benches.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|