|St. Michael's Catholic Church|
|Texas Historical Marker|
The Rt. Rev. Anthony Dominic Pellicer, First Bishop of San Antonio, established St. Michael's Parish in 1875, after the Cuero Land and Immigration Co. donated this site for a church. The name was chosen in memory of Michael O'Brien, whose widow was one of the first members. A small frame church was erected in 1876, and the Rev. V. L. Manci, S. J. , became the first resident pastor. St. Michael's Parish has operated a Catholic school since 1877.
Construction was started on a larger building in 1886, a few months before the first church was damaged by the hurricane that destroyed the coastal town of Indianola. Many of the families who fled Indianola became members of St Michael's Parish before the brick edifice was completed in 1892.
As the parish grew, a new rectory was built in 1894 and new school in 1912. The present church was erected in 1931, through efforts of the Rev. Francis Pallanche, Pastor 1922-32. Soon afterward, the Rev. William Jansen began the longest pastorate in this church's history, 1937-66. Recent expansion has included a new school and convent (1955), rectory (1963), remodeling of school and church building (1960's), and new parish hall (1973). Today St. Michael's has a membership of over 400 families.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|