|The Edward Mugge House|
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971|
Built in 1870s by a key man in the activities and ideology that gave the town of Cuero its economic leadership role in late 19th century south Texas.
Edward Mugge (1839-97), a native of Germany, arrived in the now-extinct seaport of Indianola (80 miles southeast) on Aug. 20, 1854. Seizing opportunities to rise through hard work and resourcefulness, he attained in two decades the eminence of partnership in the pioneer banking firm of H. Runge and Company. In his diverse enterprises he offered many other young men -- particularly those of similar Teutonic - American heritage -- chances to invest work and skill in development of this area.
Beginning this house as a typical comfortable home of the region, he originally built seven rooms -- three of these milled in Saint Louis and assembled here. Over ensuing years he made additions as surprise gifts to his wife (Nee Pauline Blumenthal) and six children: Edward, Lilly, Anna, Henry, Oscar, and Fred. The house grew to 15 rooms, five halls, three porches. On grounds were a summerhouse, greenhouse, bath house, wash house, smokehouse, huge cistern (still existent), and stables (which later became a garage for some of the first automobiles in Cuero). The Mugge house illustrates the history of its builder and period.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|