|Town of Hidalgo|
|Texas Historical Marker|
County seat of Hidalgo County 1854-1908. Known as Edinburgh in 1852. Name changed in 1861 to Hidalgo in honor of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, 1753-1811, parish priest who led the movement in 1810 for Mexican independence. Almost completely washed away by an overflow of the Rio Grande in September, 1887.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|