Tuleta
Texas Historical Marker
 

The Rev. Peter Unzicker led a group of Illinois settlers here in 1906. Buying 53. 4 acres of land of the original Uranga Grant and later Chittim-Miller Ranch, he founded Tuleta, named for the daughter of J. M. Chittim. A rail depot and post office were opened. In 1909 Pastor Unzicker organized one of Texas' first Mennonite churches. Townspeople established the innovative Tuleta Agricultural High School in 1910, with Miss Amanda Stoltzfus as principal. Once marketing center for this fertile farming area, Tuleta also had a union church and several business houses. (1978)

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved