Fort Ramírez was a fortified ranchhouse built by Don José Antonio Ramírez and his son Don José Victoriano Ramírez somewhere between 1790 and 1806 on the south bank of Ramireña Creek in Live Oak County. The building was never a fort, but it is beleived to be the first permanent structure in Live Oak County. Local legends of buried treasure nearby resulted in complete destruction of the house. As of this writing the area is being excavated by a professional archeologist from George West.
From George West take US 281 16 miles south, turn east on FM 3162 about 6.9 miles to the site.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|