|Calhoun County Jail|
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983|
Built in 1896 by the firm of Martin, Byrne, and Johnson of Victoria, this structure served as the Calhoun County Jail for more than sixty years. It was the site of the county's only official execution, carried out in 1914 on the second-story gallows. Interesting features of Calhoun County's oldest public structure include the hood moldings over the windows and the projecting brick cornice that extends into a fortress-like parapet around the roof line.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|