|1886 Hidalgo County Jail|
|Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984|
Built in 1886 by S. W. Brooks, who also constructed the nearby courthouse, this jail served Hidalgo County during a turbulent period in its history, when outlaw raids were still occurring. The city's first newspaper, "The Hidalgo Advance," was published here from 1904 to 1908. The two-story jail, which features handmade brick and a corbeled cornice along the roofline, served the county until 1908, when the seat of government was moved to Chapin (now Edinburg).
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|