|GPS Coordinates – N 28°03.668' W 96°51.199'|
|On this map from 1840, Cedar Bayou was known as Espiritu Santo Inlet|
Cedar Bayou is a natural pass that separates St Josephs Island from Matagorda Island. It has existed for many 100's of years. The opening of the Corpus Christi Ship Channel in 1926 reduced the flow of water through the pass and it began to silt up. The pass was dredged in 1939 and again in 1959. In 1979, the pass was intentionally closed to prevent contamination to the bays from the Ixtoc One Oil Spill. It is said that a bulldozer used to close the pass sank into the sand on the beach and remains there today. Cedar Bayou was dredged again in 1987 and in 1995 but much of the dredged material was placed at the mouth of Vinson Slough. This reduced the flow of water though the pass even more and it is currently closed.
Populations of blue crabs, red drum, brown, white and pink shrimp, southern flounder and striped mullet depend on the tidal movement through the pass to carry the larval and post-larval forms from the Gulf spawning areas to the inland bay nurseries. The endangered whooping cranes that spend the winter near Cedar Bayou feed mainly on blue crabs.
Today there are several groups working toward the reopening of Cedar Bayou.
A history of fishing reports for Cedar Bayou. Maybe you can find a seasonal pattern or a bait or technique that has worked in the past.
Nov-05-08 • Redfish are good near Cedar Bayou on Gulps and finger mullet.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|