|Church of the Advent|
|Texas Historical Marker|
One of the earliest Episcopal churches organized in Texas, this congregation was founded in 1851. The Rev. William Passmore served as first Rector, and by 1854 a church building was completed in the downtown area. Destroyed by a hurricane in 1867, it was rebuilt by 1877. The current building was designed by Scottish architect Thomas McLaren and built in 1926-1927. The Mission style structure features a domed tower, barrel tile roof, and curvilinear parapet.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|