|1923 Point Isabel Coast Guard Building|
|Texas Historical Marker|
The Federal Government has operated a coastal installation at Point Isabel since 1852. This structure is the third permanent building erected here, one of a line of nine stations established along the Gulf of Mexico from Florida to the Texas-Mexico border. Originally consisting of a main floor, attic, and lookout tower, all elevated off the ground on wood and concrete pilings, the structure served as barracks and headquarters for the U. S. Coast Guard unit that patrolled the coastline and conducted sea rescues.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|