|Texas Historical Marker|
Named for 18th century Indian converts of Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuniga. A men's college. Founded 1852 by Western Presbytery of Texas. Used buildings of old mission plus funds given by Goliad.
Taught Latin, Greek, geography, surveying, bookkeeping, writing, reading, elementary and higher mathematics, English grammar and orthography.
Closed--like most of Texas' 25 colleges--after the Civil War began (1861) and most students joined the Confederate Army. Had its buildings wrecked in the great storm of 1886.
|Copyright © 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved|