First Baptist Church of Port Lavaca
Texas Historical Marker
 

Organized in 1854 as the Lavaca Baptist Church, this congregation developed from area missionary efforts that began in the 1830s. The original church leaders were: Elder J. M. B. Haynie, pastor; Ammon Burr, clerk; and John Slater and Charles Ives, deacons. Despite early hardships such as the Civil War, hurricanes, and a yellow fever epidemic, the Baptists continued their worship services and in 1913 were chartered by the state as the First Baptist Church of Port Lavaca. Active in the formation of several area congregations, the church has played an active role in the development of the town.

 
Copyright 2010 Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved