In January 1929, a reservoir called Lake Lovenskiold was created in this valley with the construction of La Fruita Dam across the Nueces River, which washed out in November that same year. The dam was rebuilt in 1935, with federal funds provided by President Roosevelt’s New Deal, and the name changed to Lake Corpus Christi. Lake Corpus Christi State Park was opened in 1934. Many of the park's facilities were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the 1930s.
Activities are camping; picnicking; boating (motors allowed); water skiing; fishing; swimming (unsupervised beach); bird watching; and hiking.
Admission $4 per day, per person 13 and older.