Erected 1876. Had iron shutters, elevator, walls 25 inches thick.
Housed general mercantile store begun by pioneer Caesar Eckhardt family in 1848, soon after founding of Yorktown.
Wagons brought in goods from seaport of Indianola. Gold and silver hidden under potatoes were sent to San Antonio to purchase other supplies. During the Civil War, wife ran the business while the husband and two sons served the south.