Built by John Cook, who was born 1846 in Texas-bound wagon train; at 17 was in Civil War; in 1866 married Frances Miller. Lived in rock house, near this site. With son, R. J. , contributed much to area cattle industry, with fine registered Herefords.
House, erected 1897 of select long-leaf pine, placed to catch Gulf breezes. Each room opens on a porch. Has 4 fireplaces, with mantels of mahogany, maple, oak. Architecture is Victorian. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966