County was created 1846 with Cameron as seat of government. In 1850 Clinton became seat, and served until 1876 when the two- story frame courthouse was moved to Cuero. That building burned in April 1894. Present structure was built between June 1894 and May 1896 under supervision of architects A. O. Watson and Eugene Heiner. Interior was renovated in 1957, but exterior remains unchanged.