A native of Alabama, Elijah Ray (1825 - 1902) first came to Texas in 1847. He purchased this property during the Civil War (1861-65) and built this home for his family. Like many early Texas dwellings, the structure has a central hallway and a two-story porch with decorative brackets. Elijah Ray's son George later acquired the homestead. A well-known stockman like his father, George Ray was also a noted oilman and banker.