Built in 1868 at Indianola by Emil Reiffert (1839-1910), immigrant at age 15; Confederate veteran; merchant, rancher, President H. Runge & Co. , known as First Real Bank in Texas.
Anchored to 7-feet. pillars. With 100 refugees upstairs, downstairs windows and doors open, house withstood its second hurricane, 1886. Was dismantled, its planks numbered, moved to Cuero, rebuilt 1887. Has storm pillars, front storm door, handcarved staircase, parquet floors.