Rosa F. McCamly had this home built in 1896. In 1897 she sold it to Edwin Hawes (b. 1852), Wharton County judge in the 1870s and 1880s. Hawes had returned to this area after temporarily residing in Kerrville, where he was mayor. Here he was a large landowner and a political leader. The double galleried home was purchased in 1944 by George Rust Hawes and his wife Emily ( Prasifka), the son and daughter-in-law of Edwin and Lizzie Milburn (Rust) Hawes.