William Wendtland (1856-1951) and Louis Wagener (1855-1936) built this structure in 1895. William Koch (1857-1928) enlarged the building with a rear addition in 1915. "The Opera House Saloon" and later other businesses occupied the lower floor. The opera house, located on the top floor, was the site of theatrical productions, social gatherings, dances, political rallies, and lodge meetings. Until the 1920s, the opera house was Shiner's main public auditorium.