In the 1870s Joshua Butler from Virginia settled here on 2000 acres along Cabeza Creek. Soon John Riley and P. P. Short began large sheep and cattle ranches. Their children attended schools in Yorktown and Helena until a schoolhouse was built on Short's land. Later a public school opened here and served for Baptist and Methodist worship. A post office was begun in 1889. The village had a doctor's office, mercantile stores, cotton gin, and blacksmith shop. The post office closed in 1907. By the 1950s area schools consolidated and small farms replaced the large ranches.