Settlers in the community of Sandies began to hold Methodist worship services in 1842. Sandies Chapel was chartered by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1857. Trustees were Newburn Guinn, David Barnes, E. R. Hurt, D. P. Briggs, and J. T. Gillett. In 1897, the congregation moved one mile to the new community of Dewville where a church was built on land donated by Mrs. C. C. Vernor, the wife of an early local pastor. Over the years, the church has provided significant service and leadership to the town and remains an active institution here.