This congregation traces its history to 1907, when services were held in a two-story home on 7th Street shared with other denominations. The First Baptist Church was officially organized in 1914. The members built a wooden structure on this site, and the Rev. S. F. Baucum and the Rev. E. L. Phipps were appointed ministers. The Sunday School was organized in 1921; Training Union and the Woman's Missionary Union were begun in 1922.
Missionary programs were a focus for the First Baptist Church congregation, which established missions in 1927, 1936, and 1938 to serve area Hispanic and African American citizens. A ground breaking ceremony for a new sanctuary was held in 1944, and the first worship service was hald in the new facility on May 15, 1949.
In 1953, First Baptist Church members established a mission which became the Wood Avenue Baptist Church; it later merged with the founding congregation. A Sunday morning radio ministry was begun on November 13, 1959. Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church of Raymondville has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs.