Early Baptist worship services in this area were most likely held at the home of "Old 300" colonist William Kincheloe, perhaps as early as 1822. A Sunday School was started in or near present-day Wharton in 1829 or 1830. Baptist congregation was organized by 1847. That year, the Colorado Church of Wharton, or Wharton Baptist Church as it came to be called, became one of the founding members of the Colorado association. The congregation's first sanctuary was built in the late 1850s. The fellowship has been known since 1913 as the First Baptist Church of Wharton.