Yoakum was founded in 1887 when the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built a line through this area. The town grew rapidly and on April 7, 1889, one month before the town was incorporated, the First Baptist Church was organized.
Led by the Rev. H. M. Rowland from nearby Flatonia, the congregation began with seven charter members: J. H. and N. M. Clare; Edgar and Lydia Barnes; Thomas Johnson; Lou Thomas; and B. F. Griffin, who served as first church clerk. Rowland continued to serve the new congregation for a year.
The church's first place of worship was a one-room frame building at the corner of West Hochheim and Lott streets. It was replaced in 1893 by a larger frame structure at East Gonzales and Dunn streets. By 1912 it was too small for the growing congregation, and a new three-story brick sanctuary featuring six large stained glass windows was built on the same site. With the addition of facilities to serve Sunday School and other needs, it served the congregation until a new structure was erected in 1974. Throughout its history this congregation has been involved in local and foreign missionary activities. It continues to be a vital part of the community.