The Rev. Thomas S. Armstrong, sent by the East Texas Conference of the Methodist Church to establish a church in Yoakum, led a small group of Methodists in organizing this congregation on October 28, 1889. The charter members included Mrs. M. M. Riggs, Mr. and Mrs. Jim Hulse, Mrs. Martha Goode, Mrs. S. L. Edwards, Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Sistrunk, Mrs. Sarah Weatherly, and Mr. T. M. Dodd, who served as the congregation's first steward. Early worship services were held in a variety of locations, including the Knights of Pythias Hall, an empty saloon building on Front Street, and buildings shared with the local Presbyterian and Baptist churches.
The Methodist congregation built its first house of worship in 1893 on the corner of Rose Street and Price Avenue. It was replaced with a brick structure in 1917, and the congregation moved to a new church building at this site in 1973.
Throughout its history the First United Methodist Church of Yoakum has been active in service to the community. The Women's Missionary Society (now known as United Methodist Women) was founded in 1893 and has continued its outreach activities for more than a century.