Completed on July 17, 1932, as Nelson No. 1 Well, at a depth of 4,052 ft; was drilled by Coyle-Concord Oil Company, owner of 30,000 acres of block leases in area. Many other wells were soon drilled as a result of success here. Site called Garwood Field.
In 1932 no market was found for this gas. Two extensions to the field were later located and commercial outlets obtained. Gas production has contributed to prosperity of the county. Texas reserves of natural Gas are nearly 119 trillion cu. ft. , or 42. 3% of United States reserves.