Fort Ringgold

Texas Historical Marker - Fort Ringgold

Texas Historical Marker

Map This Site!

Established October 26, 1848, at Davis Landing by Capt. J. H. La Motte, 1st U. S. Infantry, as Ringgold Barracks. Named in honor of Brevet Major David Ringgold, 4th U. S. Artillery, who died of wounds received at Palo Alto, May 8, 1846. Troops were withdrawn March 3, 1859. Reoccupied December 29, 1859. Abandoned in 1861. Reoccupied by U. S. troops in June 1865. General Robert E. Lee passed a few days here in 1856 and in 1860.

Home    South Texas History    Previous Page
Bookmark and Share
Copyright © Texmaps and Carson Map Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved