The Frio Lodge was organized with seven members in 1873 in the town of Frio City (16 mi. NW) and was chartered the following year. The first Worshipful Master was John B. McMahon, a pioneer area settler who had served as head of the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1860-61. In 1883 the lodge relocated to the new railroad town of Pearsall. Over the years many prominent community leaders have been members of the Frio Masonic lodge, which is the oldest continuing organization in Frio County.