The "Goliad Advance-Guard" was created by the merger of two newspapers. The "Guard" began in 1867, when Richard Wayne Davis bought the "Intelligencer" and changed its name. His son, R. T. Davis, published the paper from 1871 until 1892. A young editor from Mississippi, J. A. White, began the "Advance" in 1905. Eight years later, the two weekly publications were combined to become the "Goliad Advance-Guard. " Correspondents from all parts of the county have served as local reporters. The "Advance-Guard" continues to supply residents with news of the county.