A native of Arkansas, John W. Henderson (1864-1947) became a prominent local businessman through his insurance company and his interests in ranching, farming and real estate. In 1909 he and his wife Minna Catherine (James) purchased this property. After moving the home of Dr. J. B. Ragland, which was located here, they had this Classical Revival residence constructed. Designed by Sam H. Dixon, it was built by Fred Urban. In 1926 it was sold to auto dealer and civic leader W. E. Franz, who died in 1939. His widow Bessie continued to live here until 1953.