Born in Philadelphia; married Dr. J. V. E. Covey, Baptist minister and teacher, in 1845. They came to Texas during the 1850's as missionary-teachers. Regarded by her associates as a gifted instructor, Mrs. Covey aided her husband in founding and operating three colleges. In 1857 they established Alma Institute at Hallettsville; then during the Civil War, Concrete College near Cuero; an in 1881, McMullen College at Tilden.